“Love Plastic” is a novel venture for this cause to “Reduce, Reuse and Recycle plastic.” Eastern Group joined hands with Mathrubhumi SEED for this venture with the technical support from Pelican foundation. Love plastic project was inaugurated by former President of India Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam on 19th February 2011 at Kottayam district, Kerala.
Love Plastic – Modus operandi
• Five schools from each of the 14 revenue districts of the state of Kerala is selected.
• Representatives of these selected 70 schools were given training on the mode of operation of “Love Plastic”.
• The students bring plastic waste from their houses. The plastic is then cleaned, dried and crushed before segregating.
• The plastic is segregated as low micron, high micron, high density and pet bottles.
• The segregated plastic is stored in separate sacks provided by the Love Plastic team.
• Mathrubhumi representatives periodically visited the schools to ensure proper quality of waste collection.
• The Love plastic vehicle collects plastic from the schools and transports it to the recycling unit.
• The plastic is collected by the Love plastic team and an amount of Rs.2/- kg is paid to the schools
Love Plastic – The journey
The love plastic programme has collected 60,892 Kgs of plastic waste and sent it for recycling in six phases. The Love plastic vehicle was welcomed in a festive manner in all the schools across the state. The quality of plastic and the segregation was done in the best prescribed manner possible by the students. The students maintained individual records of the collected plastic. The collected plastic was recycled centrally at the Pelican Foundation unit at Kuthiathode, Alappuzha.
Moreover, the Love Plastic mission forayed outside the campus boundaries deeper into the society.
• Residential associations also joined hands with the schools for collecting plastic wastes.
• Lal Bahadhur Sasthri Memorial Higher Secondary School, Avittathur, Thrissur District and Muslim Girls High Secondary School Erattupetta voluntarily became part of the “Love Plastic” programme.
• The administration of Mahe (Union territory) took inspiration from our programme and launched Love Plastic programme to enable a plastic free Mahe.